The agency need to prove you are who you say you are. They will need to see at least two proofs of identity, including two which prove your address. You'll be asked to scan these over to the agency, and then have the originals with you at your interview.
- Accepted documents include hard copies of the following:
- Current and valid passport (or Biometric Residence Permit)
- Current driving licence photocard
- HMRC letter, such as an assessment, statement of account, or notice of coding (less than 12 months old)
- Bank/credit card statement (less than 3 months old). You can use statements from two different accounts
- Utility bill such as water, gas, electricity or landline telephone (less than 3 months old)
- Mortgage statement (less than 12 months old)
- Council Tax statement (less than 12 months old)
Mobile phone bills and car insurance are unfortunately not accepted.
Concerns and Challenges
My bank accounts are registered elsewhere...
- You can change your banking registered address either through your online banking account or by calling the bank. This usually takes a week to action. At the same time, request paper statements with the new address so you have these ready to scan.
I only have online bank statements...
- You might get away with printing an online statement, but that often gets rejected.
- The best bet is to request paper copies either through your online banking account or by calling the bank. They usually come within a week.
My driving licence has the wrong address on it...
- Updating your driving licence takes two weeks and costs £20. See here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence
I have recently moved home and am not named on any of my household bills...
- If it's possible to put these into your name, that's great. But this is often the hardest thing to change. The best approach may be to change your bank accounts and driving licence, which can be done quickly and cheaply instead. You only need two documents to pass this test.
Do you have enough hard copy documents from the list above?
Scan these over to the agency for them to check, and keep the originals safe for the interview.
Request hard copy statements from your bank(s) and change the details on your driving licence. See above for more info on these.